Tis the season of zucchini and the trend right now seems to be zucchini scarpaccia. It’s basically a zucchini tart where the zucchini is the star, there are tons of variations all over the internet right now.
It’s like a savory zucchini flatbread, baked until it forms a crunchy, golden brown top, it’s very delicious!
I changed mine up a little by adding to the zucchini and onion mixture, an ear of shucked. corn and in the batter some sharp, grated pecorino.
Several recipes say to add cornmeal to the batter, I used dry polenta.
Grab a slice and have it as an appetizer, a side dish, a snack or a light main course served with a salad, like I did recently for dinner.
A perfect summer dish especially while zucchini is in an abundance right now.
Easy to make, virtually a one pan meal and very soul satisfying!
Zucchini Scarpaccia With Corn And Pecorino
Grab. your garden zucchini and make this savory zucchini flatbread called scarpaccia.
- 3 zucchini, medium size sliced into thin rounds
- 1 white or red onion, medium size sliced
- 1 ear of fresh corn, shucked
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- olive oil
- FOR THE BATTER
- 1 cup flour
- 1¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup polenta or corn meal
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup of pecorino romano
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ( batter should be loose enough to spread, adjust with a little more water if needed)
- Saute the zucchini and onion slices in a saute pan, along with the garlic for about 15 minutes until most of the moisture is gone.
- Let it cool down, now mix up the batter.
- To a bowl add the flour, water, pecorino cheese, polenta or cornmeal, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt. and pepper to taste, you could also add chopped basil or leave the basil for garnish.
- Generously olive oil a quarter inch rimmed sheet pan, or if you have a 9 x. 13 non stick pan, all the better.
- Fold in the zucchini, onion and corn mixture to the batter then spread it out evenly over the pan.
- Lightly sprinkle the top with a little polenta, grated pecorino and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake at 400. til golden and crunchy on top, time may vary according to oven temps. 35-45 minutes or so.
- Garnish with basil.
- Cool down and slice!