Fall is officially the start of soup weather and here’s a good one to start you off on, plus you can keep it in rotation throughout the winter. It’s my homemade chicken soup with broken spaghetti pasta.
It’s a simple basic recipe, not a lot of ingredients, but all the ingredients I promise will yield you a most delicious pot of soup!
Can you add other veggies to it? of course you can, and that’s up to you. The key to this flavorful broth is using chicken thighs with the bone and skin on, you need that, it won’t be the same without it.
There’s two steps, first you you need to make the base, the broth, which comes from simmering the chicken bones with lots of aromatics, once done the aromatics will be removed, the chicken will be pulled out, skin and bones removed and the shredded chicken set aside.
You’ll then place all the shredded chicken as well as fresh chopped veggies and herbs back into the both, season for taste and when the veggies are tender it’s all done.
We like to make some broken spaghetti on the side and add it into your bowls as needed, so delicious!
Cold a flu season is around the corner and this is just the kind of comfort chicken soup that you’ll be needing.
Homemade Chicken Soup With Broken Spaghetti
Soup season has officially started, and this soup is just what you need for comfort during the cold and flu season.
- FOR THE. BROTH BASE
- 4- bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- 2 -1 quart boxes of low sodium chicken broth, or water but I prefer adding the broth
- 3 large garlic cloves, cut in half
- 2 celery stalks, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 2 large carrots scrubbed clean and cut in half
- 2 cheese rinds, either Pecorino or Parmigiano
- a handful of parsley
- a pinch of dried thyme and salt and pepper
- a drizzle of olive oil
- FOR THE COMPLETED SOUP
- ½ of a large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- a handful of parsley
- ½.- lb. of broken spaghetti, cooked on the side
- Heat up a large heavy bottom pot, drizzle with olive oil.
- Pat dry the chicken thighs and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down and get them golden brown, then flip them over and cook the other side.
- Add the 3 cloves of garlic and cook til golden.
- Place into the broth, the quartered onion, pieces, carrot and celery halves, cheese rinds, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Get it to a boil and simmer low for a couple of hours, give it enough time for the vegetables and chicken to be tender and where you can see the collagen broken down to a gelatine and producing a delicious bone broth, taste for seasoning.
- Remove the chicken thighs and let them cool down, then scoop out and discard all the large pieces of veggies, parsley and the cheese rinds.
- Pull the skin and bones off the chicken and shred the chicken, then place it back into the flavorful broth along with all your freshly chopped veggies and herbs..
- Simmer until your veggies are tender but not mushy.
- Serve with your pre-cooked broken spaghetti into your bowls and some sprinkling of grated cheese.